So you are having trouble sleeping and need to know how to get to sleep preferably using natural sleep remedies as opposed to prescription or over the counter sleeping pills. Here is a list of tips to help you with your sleeping problem.
1. Improving your sleep routine – Prepare yourself for sleep and start trying to relax your mind an hour before bed time. Turning off the TV and reading an uncomplicated book will help your mind prepare for sleep. Don’t watch TV in bed and apart from romance only got to bed to sleep.
Try and have a regular time to go to bed and when to get up and stick to this schedule.
2. Avoid stimulants – This is an obvious one but often ignored. No caffeine at least 4 hours before bedtime and that includes coffee, tea, chocolate and any other food or beverage containing the stimulant. No alcohol, drugs or cigarettes 3-4 hours before sleeping either.
3. Change your diet – What you eat can have a great impact on enabling you to fall asleep and an effect on how well you sleep through the night. A healthier diet is always going to be beneficial to your health including how well you sleep. Avoiding too many processed foods, sugar, fat and preservatives may be all it takes for you to start sleeping again. Drink plenty of water during the day because dehydration is often the reason people wake during the night.
4. Reduce your stress and anxiety – There may be things troubling you that keep you awake at night and get your mind racing. This is a very common reason for sleep disorders and needs to be addressed. Learn meditation and relaxation techniques to put these worries out of your mind when it is time for you to sleep. Self hypnosis and muscle relaxation are very good for this purpose.
5. Take a nice hot bath – Yes this is such a simple way to relax the body and the mind and prepare for a nice deep sleep. Some ambient music and dimmed lights or candles can let your mind drift away while the hot water soothes your body. Simple yet very effective.
6. Herbal remedies and supplements – Chamomile tea and Lavender mint tea have both been used throughout the ages as natural sleep aids. Valerian root is thought to be one of the best natural sleep remedies.
7. Daily exercise – Exercising during the day (not in the evening) is very influential as to how well you sleep at night. Physical activity during the day helps your body to relax at night and you will fall asleep easier. Exercise helps your body to deal with stress and anxiety and is nothing but beneficial when it comes to improving your overall physical and mental health.
These natural sleep aids will not only help you to learn how to get to sleep again but if adopted and used continuously with have a huge impact on your overall health and quality of life.