Knowing how to deal with a drunk person can be a challenge especially if you have little to no experience with problem drinkers. Here are 5 key tips that will help you manage the inebriated in the best possible way.
- Make sure they stop drinking. The first thing that you need to do is to make sure that you keep them from drinking anymore. It is quite hard for a person to convince another drunken person that drinking more is bad for them, so you need to use some tricks. Make sure that you talk with the waiter or with the barman to stop giving them alcohol. If you are at a party, tell them that you are going to make the drinks for them. When you make a drink you should use a small quantity of alcohol or no alcohol at all. A severely drunk person will not tell the difference between a beverage with alcohol or one without any alcohol.
- Keep them in a proper position. It is very important to stop a drunk person from sitting on their stomach or on their back. There is a high risk they will vomit and choke. Also, do not let them sleep alone because many people have died in their sleep while they were drunk.
- Make sure they don’t engage in risky behavior. You should definitely keep the drunken person from driving a car, fighting with other people, hurting themselves, etc. It is very possible for a drunken person to engage in such behaviors, so be cautious. Also, make sure you don’t hurt yourself while taking care of them.
- Keep them hydrated and take care of their emotional state. Make sure that you keep them hydrated. Water helps eliminate alcohol faster. Also, when a person drinks a lot, they usually drink for a reason, so being there for them while they tell you their problems will help.
- Take them to the emergency room. If the person you are taking care of stops breathing, hurts themselves, or passes out, you should definitely take them to the emergency room. Also, if the person who drank too much has any illnesses which can put their life in danger when consuming alcohol, like diabetes or heart problems, don’t waste any time and rush them to the hospital. If you follow the rules above you might save someone’s life. Also, after the person recovers you should confront them about their drinking. If this wasn’t the first time they got severely drunk, you might suggest to them that they have a drinking problem.